Internationalization and Exports are a major growth driver of the Medtech sector. Hence, we want to shed a light on recent growth trends and market expansion potential of the Global Medtech leading trade nations. Therefore, we identified the 20 major Medtech producing/ trading nations and the importance of their 40 international trading partners across the 16 core GMDN categories over the past 5 years (since 2012).
Now, we are able to answer the following questions:
- Who are the Global Medtech leading trade nations in 2016?
- Who are their most important 40 trading partners in 2016?
- What are the export markets trade per trading nations and per core GMDN segment?
- What are best practice export strategies?
- Where to spot opportunities in trade in the coming years?
- Which technology fields will lead to outperformance by 2020?
- Where to invest and play?
(All data stated is based on USD trade values)
In a Nutshell:
"Growth in International Trade - The Global Top 20 Medtech trading nations and their most important 40 trading partners in 2016"
The 20 leading Medtech export nations achieved a combined export value of USD 253.3bn in 2016. They acquired imports of just over USD 250bn, yielding a combined trade surplus of USD 3.1bn. Selected Top 100 companies averaged up to +6.2% revenue growth in emerging markets due to an extended internationalisation strategy.
Trade revenue growth of the selected Top 20 Medtech nations 2012 to 2016 actuals and 2017 to 2019 (estimates)
Ranking of Top 20 Medtech trading nations since 2000
- China, Belgium, Ireland, Singapore, and South Korea and also recently by Malaysia and Poland grew along the ranks based on a well orchestrated and executed strategy focusing on internationalisation, location promotion, and export strength
- Leading manufacturing countries, e.g. the USA, Germany, Netherland, Switzerland, Mexico Canada and Austria are stable and steady fast on their course - maintaining their ranking despite fiercer competitive pressures.
- Japan, France, Italy, Hong Kong and Denmark declined in their ranking as their companies grew slower
Export value distribution of Top 15 Medtech nations across the 16 core GMDN categories in % in 2016
- In 2016, the most lucrative Medtech segments were electromechanical products, laboratory equipment, imaging devices, in-active implants, and in-vitro reagents accounting for USD 116.4bn (59.2%) of export revenues for the Top 15 export nations
- The other segments contributed USD 80.2bn (40.8%) of export revenues
- The long-term development of exports among the core Medtech segments changed slightly since 2012